Nominated Ambassador Pupils from our 7 primary feeder schools arrived at the school reception with the expectation of a full and varied day. Three pupils from each school had been selected for this day by their primary school teachers who thought these pupils had the required qualities to make a good Ambassador.
The primary school pupils worked closely with four Young Sports Leaders from Test Valley School during the day: Sam Hunt, Alex and Zac Jones and Amelia Cairns. Holly Shirley (School Games Organiser for the Test Valley Area) was to lead the day setting high expectations from the beginning.
The Ambassadors were given an introductory talk about their specific roles and responsibilities.
The roles and responsibilities of the Bronze Ambassador were described as:
- Being a role model advocating PE and school sport.
- Creating and managing a School Sport Organising Crew which will promote the ‘Spirit of the Games’ values within the school.
- Increasing participation and healthy lifestyles in their school.
- Assisting in the organisation and running of the Level 1 School Games programme within the school.
- Being the young people’s voice on PE and school sport in their school.
- Publicising sporting updates through notice boards, the school website, school Twitter, school newsletters etc.
Mrs Shirley and the Sports Leaders were on hand with help and suggestions for the mini game activities and the team building challenges.
Five specific tasks were allocated to the Ambassadors and they were to try and introduce them into their schools over the next few weeks. Some schools already had some of the tasks in place but the majority of pupils saw these as new challenges to help promote sport.
- Set up and maintain a School Organising Crew
- Set up a new sports club – Change4Life Club
- Run a School Sport Competition
- Make a presentation on sporting opportunities in school
- Create or update a PE and School Games notice board
The 6 ‘Spirit of the Games’ values were also discussed and used throughout the day. These included : Honesty, Self Belief, Respect, Determination, Passion and Teamwork.
This initiative is organised through the Youth Sports Trust which runs events across the country for young people.
Well done to all the Bronze Ambassadors and excellent day!