Report by Mr Langdown
Friday 1st May 3.30pm in the afternoon saw our seventh StockFest kick-off with a huge line-up of school vocal and instrumental talent, with no fewer than 22 different acts from Year 7 to Year 11 packed into two and a half hours. Over 300 people not including performers, stall holders and helpers flocked to enjoy the atmosphere and support this unique school event.
An unexpected surprise for the audience this year was a staff swimming dance routine just for fun. A line-up of staff dressed in strange swimwear, including swimming caps, performed on their makeshift stage complete with a screen to simulate the pool and hidden crashmats to absorb their dives. It really was quite hilarious.
The headline act this year was a specially formed band consisting of:
- Connor Fealy from Year 11, bass guitar (the bearded one)
- Mr Allon, our drum teacher, playing the drums
- Mr Willcox, new to the school as Head of Computing, vocals and lead guitar
I am sure Mr Willcox will not mind me saying he was quite a show-off on the guitar playing some classic blues and it really brought StockFest to a fabulous climax.
This event was planned and organised by a large group of Year 11 pupils who had been meeting weekly since January this year. They are:
- Michael Dunwell – Promotions & stalls promotions and liaison
- Dan Bavister – Programme, timings, running order
- Connor Fealy – Backing tracks, stage management, auditions
- Josh Yard – Auditions, assemblies, stage management
- Meg Lee – Stalls promotions and liaison
- Luke Henderson – Auditions
- Ben Reed – PTA liaison
- Emily Payne – Auditions
- Ollie Batchelor – Staffing
- Jacob Breach – Staff band liaison
- Josh Powell – Ticket sales
- Emily Nightingale – Auditions
What makes this such a wonderful community event is the coming together of, not just musical talent, but the support and involvement of the school staff, the PTA who run the event BBQ, Year 7 & 8 tutor groups who run stalls to fund raise for charity and some very special guys who supply the equipment.
A special thanks to:
- Ian McDonald who supplies, installs and runs the sound system supported by Steve Haines
- Trevor Johnson and his team who supply and erect the marquees
- Test Valley School PTA
- StockFest Year 11 Committee
- Huge number of school staff supporting the event
Looking forward to next year.